Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Strawberry applesauce

My apologies for my hiatus as of late. Grad school has proven to be a bit more stressful than I had imagined and although I've been cooking a lot to keep myself sane, I've hardly had any time to post any of the awesome recipes that I've been making. I've realize though, in the past 6 weeks of grad school, that cooking is my release; it is one of the only ways that I can destress instantly. Some people like to work out, others enjoy a glass of wine, others watch TV...my ideal way to put the stressful day behind me is to crack open a cookbook, take out the knives and pans, and get lost in the aromas, colors, and familiar actions of concocting gustatory pleasure.

My parents came to visit us here in Iowa City this past weekend. We went to a local apple orchard and picked lots of apples. After I came home today from taking a surprisingly difficult exam (I hope the professor believes in curving), I decided to make some strawberry applesauce as reinforcement that the test is behind me and now I'm home. It is so delicious that I caught myself shoveling hot spoonfuls into my watering mouth right out of the food processor, not even allowing it to cool first.

In a large saucepan, combine:
  • 5 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
  • 10 strawberries (fresh or frozen)
  • 1/2 cup water
  • between 1/4 and 1/2 cup white sugar, depending on how sweet you like your applesauce
  • 1 cinnamon stick
Simmer over low heat for about 20-30 minutes until the apples are tender. Once the apples are soft, transfer everything in the pot (except the cinnamon stick) into a food processor. Pulse a few times until everything is uniform. Depending on how chunky/smooth you like your applesauce, process until you've reached a desired consistency.

3 comments:

  1. i'm in grad school and i know just how stressful it can be! cooking and baking are my main stress relievers (and the best way to procrastinate). i can't wait to try this applesauce recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely relate- I'm an undergrad at University of Oregon and I cook whenever I'm stressed. This is such a creative idea- will be trying it this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who cooks to procrastinate :) Thanks for the support ladies...it's cool to know that people are inspired by/can relate to my blog!

    ReplyDelete