Monday, August 9, 2010

Vegan almond butter cookes with crystallized ginger

I'm a little late on posting this recipe. I made these cookies a couple weeks ago when I was invited to a vegan dinner (the one where I made the olive and roasted red pepper tapenade) and I decided to make something for dessert as well. In trying to think of an easy, vegan dessert, I was haphazardly typing in combinations of all the sweet vegan things I could think of into the Google search bar, hoping that a worthy recipe would be found. And as usual, the internet came through. This recipe is from www.food.com, a website I had never gotten recipes from before. These cookies are amazing you won't even know they're vegan. I added my own touch to this recipe by sprinkling some chopped crystallized ginger on top of the cookies right before putting them in the oven. It was a really good idea, not to toot my own horn to loudly or anything. And I apologize in advance for the sub par photo...the lighting was really dim in the room, but this recipe is too good not too post just because of a mediocre picture.

1. Preheat the oven to 350. 
2. In a large bowl, combine:
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
3. In a separate bowl, mix together:
  • 1/3 cup almond butter
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 tablespoons canola oil
4. Combine the wet mixture into the dry until everything is well incorporated.

5. On a parchment paper lined cookie sheet, drop the batter by the tablespoonful onto the sheet leaving ample room between the cookies because they will spread quite a bit (about 2 inches of space should be good).

6. If you like, chop up some crystallized ginger and sprinkle a little bit on each cookie. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until the bottoms are golden brown. When they're done, cool them on a rack.

2 comments:

  1. And as recipient of these cookies, I have to say they were a wonderful end to our vegan meal. The tampanade was also delish! Thanks Naomi.

    ReplyDelete