Saturday, April 17, 2010

My justification for starting a blog. And African Peanut Stew.

When I shared my idea of starting a food blog with my friends, everyone had the same reaction. They sort of giggled (some more intensely than others), probably thinking something like, "not another one who thinks anyone cares about the mundaneness of your everyday antics." But I know deep down, they also probably thought it was really fitting. People in my life know that I'm in love with food; I love looking at it, reading about it, cooking it, smelling it, thinking about it, and certainly eating it. I more often than not have a difficult time concentrating in class because I'm thinking about what to make for dinner. So starting a food blog is my way of keeping track of my culinary adventures by giving me a place to write down memories of wonderful things I've eaten. And for anyone who does care about the mundaneness of my everyday antics, even just a little, here's a gateway into one of the things I cherish most.

So to begin, last night my roommate and I made African Peanut Stew. I'll admit that I got the recipe from a peanut butter jar, but hear me out. The other day I bought some organic Santa Cruz light roasted peanut butter. On the lid is printed a recipe for this stew, and it was amazing. The peanut flavor was subtle, but in perfect proportion to the rest of the flavors in the dish. This recipe is definitely a keeper.
















Ingredients:
  • 3 lbs. chicken pieces
  • 1 large chopped onion
  • 1 cup natural peanut butter (I would recommend the chunky kind which adds more texture to the stew)
  • 14.5 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
  • 1 cup chopped carrots
  • 1 cup chopped potatoes
  • 14.5 ounce can of garbanzo beans
  • 1/2 teaspoon thyme
What to do:
  1. Put on some rice to cook.
  2. Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Heat some oil in a heavy frying pan and brown the chicken pieces. Transfer to a bowl.
  3. Add the onions to the pan and cook until brown and soft (about 5 minutes).
  4. Combine the peanut butter and crushed tomatoes with 1 cup warm water in a bowl. Add this mixture to the onions, scraping up any brown bits.
  5. Return the chicken to the pan. Add the carrots, potatoes, garbanzo beans, and thyme. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until potatoes and chicken are tender (the recipe says about an hour, but we only cooked it for about 20-30 minutes and it turned out well).
  6. Serve it over rice.
This recipe serves 5 or 6 people. We divided everything into thirds since there were only two of us. We ended up adding a bit more peanut butter, crushed tomatoes, and water because it was starting to look a little dry and it worked out beautifully.  This dish made me excited for all the ethnic food you find at farmer's markets during the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment