Sunday, May 2, 2010

Seitan meatloaf

Earlier this week I made seitan meatloaf. I made this a couple years ago for the first time when I got the recipe from a friend's dad who has always impressed me as a wonderful man who knew a lot about food and flavors. This recipe is based off the recipe he gave me:

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2.  Combine the following:
  • 1 package grated/ground seitan
  • 1 carrot, shredded
  • 1/2 onion, minced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 10 oz. spinach, wilted
3.  Using your hands, squeeze out all the moisture from this mixture (there will be quite  bit from the seitan and the spinach).
4.  Mix the following into the seitan/veggie mixture:
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup good breadcrumbs
  • 1 egg
  • optional: 1/2 cup shredded cheese 
5.  Spoon the mixture into a lightly greased loaf pan. Bake for 45 minutes.













 

I topped the loaf with some panko breadcrumbs and paprika to add some texture to it, but that's not necessary. The spinach was my favorite addition to this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment